Green Hills INTEGRITY 178 tuMP RTGL Demo on XCalibur1931

Video Transcript

The target system is an NXP (formerly Freescale) QorIQ T2080-based XCalibur1931 6U VME Single Board Computer (SBC) from Extreme Engineering Solutions which comes equipped with four physical cores or eight virtual cores in an AMD E8860 which can support up to six displays.

The board is running INTEGRITY-178 tuMP, Green Hills Software DO-178B level A certifiable multi-core real time operating system (RTOS), and Richland Technologies RTGL software library.

In this first mode, a graphics applications is assigned to core one which has a 16 millisecond major frame. The graphics application is allocated a 3.2 millisecond minor frame.

This is 20% of the available CPU time. Leaving 80% spare capacity for available throughput on core one. At only 20% of the major frame allocated to it, the graphics app displays at about 222 frames per second.

If we perform a mode change and give the application instead, 10% of the available CPU time, we see the frame rate cut roughly in half to about 109 frames per second.

We can assign the graphics application to a different core by performing another mode change. The application is now running on core five for only 10% of its available CPU time.

We can perform yet another mode change in order to show that we can assign other applications to other cores without affect the graphics application on Core five.

In this mode a Mandelbrot Fractal applications has been assigned to core six. When we allow it to run, the Mandlebrot Fractal is completed in about four seconds.

If we want to decrease the time it takes to complete the Mandelbrot Fractal we can perform another mode change and assign this multi-threaded Mandelbrot Fractal application to core six and seven.

Utilizing symmetric multi-processing cuts the time to completion roughly in half, to about two seconds.

Now we will move the graphics application back to core one with a final mode change. This time however the graphics application is allocated a 800 nanosecond minor frame.

Only 5% of the available CPU time, leaving 95% spare capacity for available throughput on core one. This cuts the frame rate once again to about 56 frames per second.

Back to Top
Fast, Flexible, and Customer-Focused Embedded Solutions
© 2024 Extreme Engineering Solutions, Inc